Sunday, June 24, 2012

Born free 4 update

Thus are my hopes of making Born Free 4!!!! After installing the fresh engine in Caroilne I discovered that one of my old lifter blocks was worn out and two of my hydraulic units were not pumping up. Switched out lifters and bases and went back to the solid conversion. Put on a few miles. The further I went, the noisier she got! Pin pointed racket to the primary, specifically the compensating sprocket. Took primary apart, AGAIN, and discovered that my new rotor was too thin causing the nut to bottom out on sprocket shaft before tightening over splines.  I also managed to cut the o-ring seal into two unequal pieces. Straightened that out only to break one of the flanges off of my starter housing on reassembly and busted the cap off of the starter solenoid white twisting off one of the copper posts. I've made myself a slave in my garage to get my bike going, blew my vacation budget on parts, neglected my family, and ignored the pile of customer bikes I need to be working on. Suffice to say, I don't feel very "Born Free"!! I'm closer than I've ever been to selling an FL Shovel off in parts!! Caroline is a bitch, and I FREAKIN' HATE TROUBLEHEADS!!!

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. Beginning to think I shoulda waited before jumping in and buying the '74 mate, you hear all this 'troublehead' chat for years then it takes on greater significance . . . must be so frustrating for you Wes, I'm sure your family understand but it doesn't make it any easier to take. Sounds like you at least got ALL the bad luck out of the way . . . press on mate, good luck buddy, from the heart.

    ReplyDelete